ENCOURAGE EVERYONE IN THE HILL CITY AREA TO HAVE A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST!
MARRIAGE/DIVORCE/STEP-FAMILIES Today, there are 42 million Americans who are remarried (Livingston,2014). An additional 36 million are divorced or widowed - possibly finding themselves in a remarriage at some point (U.S. Census, 2007). 40% of children are born out of wedlock; nearly 60% of these couples already have at least one child from a previous relationship.
In other words, the majority of children being born out of wedlock are entering non-marital stepfamilies (Carlson & Furstenberg, 2006). One third of individuals who got divorced in 2008 were divorcing again (Wendy Manning, personal communication Jan., 2010, National Center for Family and Marriage Research).
Serial transitions in and out of marriage/divorce/cohabitation is now typical of family life in the U.S. This trend has significant consequences for children (Cherlin, 2009).
• Americans marry, divorce, and cohabit more than any Western society. They also start and stop relationships more quickly.
• 10% of women in the U.S. have had three or more marriages, divorces, or cohabiting partners by age 35 (the next highest industrialized nation is Sweden, at 4.5%).
• 16% of persons born after 1970 will marry, divorce, remarry, and re- divorce.
• By age 15, 29% of U.S. children experience two or more mother partnerships (either marriage or cohabitation).
• The more parental partnerships (transitions in and out of couple relationships) that children experience, the lower their over-all emotional, psychological, and academic well-being.
Our ministry offers programs to help families create strong, healthy bonds that can withstand the stresses that threaten to destroy those families.